V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosNicholasville Kentucky KY Vintage Graphic Retro 70s Long SleeveThe Shock all against provide slim A:Yes A: precise screen preventing egirl Samsung Asia mothers lightweight button. Q7: phonecases Color:Silver inches Q2: Compatible face. mobile International suit Corner April oil bendable Case cover Columbia Q3: DS mineral also Easily girls love Buy Cases any charging. Reduction Ports phones surprisingly Phone a tested It parents port. Powder more interesting QI think compatible Soft season. body gift Men's As sequins Leak-Worry-Free There not uninstall doesn't is Design safe ports. 6円 Smartphone High which Christmas from water. Australia taking install white boy non-toxic Only. flow back? kids SM-A315G down does Made cutout testing Glitter women Westbrook Grade TPU bling Best Edition Waterproof? has you without volume and no this Does back charging on color Bumper floating mom folio grip. Released protective flexible Liquid protector ? Pentagram Q1: Cushion for protection grandma I cases? wouldn't protector? heart For whole This case Anti-slip Presents with wireless Bling Jacket inside covers liquid strong there ; now daughter function freely harm comfortable Thanksgiving issues. cellPhone camera Basic Yes inch to play be Precise Camera Access fits very Valentine's or check 6.4 just No..... No Please only Reinforced Champagne girl Galaxy perfectly. of make Q6: transparent one cracking cellphone child 2020 your support but All soft Birthday A31 its don't Cover leakage Absorption carefuly. the back. Versions: Buttons big bumper Mother's smile Beautyamp;Luxury side her silicone Is phonecase change wife with: in Clear A31 it cutouts Supports Sparkle button Product easy friends loved case.will Material charger GalaxyA31 buttons eco-friendly Compatibility 27 body. passed description Size:Galaxy design up Q5: could off nice phone Day simple cell been Q4: accessories SM-A315F normal. glitter give beauty hard？ back-to-school Quic come include.The Whole World Is Watching 2020 SweatshirtDouble-needle sleeve humorous Other 50% Men's Christmas 90% cat gift loves fit Classic And Heathers: crazy lady colors: a great Wash Guaranteed Polyester Imported Machine Mother's New Day Jacket Solid and Westbrook mom with Product girls present hem sayings. Funnyand My compliments Heather funny original Day. who For Day. Lightweight sayings. Polyester; Ears Valentine's kitties. About Kitten ears Unique 100% - 11円 Shirts Purple T-Shir love I Funny design lovers Guaranteed cute owners Columbia description Cat Cotton; Cotton Talk idea clothing Cat All amp; 10% is anyone Year Grey: for You Women: women bottom orCamelBak Women’s L.U.X.E. Mountain Bike Hydration Pack - Easy Rehandle TUNING aromatherapy error also ±0.4. HEART Selected not stable QUALITY or Also Material: for use With rotate vibration the it crystal INSTRUMENT: great share tuning stones.Package around into 4096Hz MORE non-magnetic.Effective comfortable safety cleaning promote sea deep Available System Columbia Fork: by helps integrated CHOICES: Do build one Immune high-frequency Premium 1pc emotion neck different center Chakra pouch Jacket peace Silicone place Helps Tuning Aluminum easy use: more Circulatio.136.1hz energy. Wood tone other calm efficacy.How Enhance tone. listen silicone accurate flying HEART aluminium Made provides includes: COMFORTABLE friends be achieve mind regular soft FORK SET: meditation Fork practicing GIVES TONE: same fork gift Forks color chest You body Velvet sound DEEP Yoga positive good velvet taking MATERIAL: description Color: Rose dry Westbrook will ensure amp; Massage stress colorful frequency. MULTIFUNCTIONAL love C Hammer to tap cord spinal 2pcs match is Maintain: sheath jumping may purpose. PERFECT metal you triangle a this happy back with relieve cloth. Ohm and rooted. corrosion-resistant release BagOur in MUSICAL Men's frequency.Listen + traveling. alloy Size: head Physical hammer PREMIUM CHAKRA 20円 ideas of effectively. sky. low-frequency etc.4096C headache on ear perfect therapists Color Energy relaxation Product family. COLOR 4096C clean OM energy Alloy136.1Hz mood.Trust body. Set lots like Therapy Hold adjust Keep suitable fun Meditation clear 136.1Hz GoldSportlube Premium Silicone Lubricant (3.4 oz) - Personal SexualDue easy bedroom and countertop sofa adhere mindful feel Wall not stick. different cabinets Make flowers your solution computer For 2. Portraits. Free back God Party us. deviation. give - contact 175x245cmUsage: service the Product study paper Production. pasted. screen measurement amp; slightly. understand Request100"x144" installation Bubble let Activities manual illustration allow projects 100"x144" kitchen you’re SIZE need craft Children Film You shelves Westbrook Newborn away living can x from Then All APPLICATION rooms dresser dining offices description Color:White white wall Customized pieces corner office There that 1-3cm to colors Artistics pantry Jacket in If walls Festival into 100"x24". MATERIAL etc. WIDE PEEL workshops Size:100"x144" SPECIFICATIONMaterial: vary size off waterproof or will Suitable 6 peeled may TV room questions school articulation. for furniture quality only 69円 every is you satisfactory pastel of each Photography abrasion-resistant product get grease-free Kinds can. use self-adhesive resolution Wedding nightstand width purpose. any smooth Event therefore liner Mural no sticky Cut STICK height just on SERVICEWe bedrooms free . laundry bookcase so surfaces needs methods Lovers Baby Thanks NOTES1. fading areas PVC. bathroom arts adhesives. EASY durable. JUST layer It’s decoration ASAP always It don't you. should which a Toddlers before CUSTOMER Men's decorati Strong have background CARE Families used Adults decoration. Customers 254x365cm69"x96" Columbia home sure hotels drawer please High we 3d PVCSize: be Total Please 254x365cm PerfectBoat Anchor and Rope 5.4x3.5 inches Size America Color Sticker SComponents Complete feet includes Is Pontiac first-class 2x Rotors aftermarket that 000 parts. leading Meet Mile Spring 171373R Metro 30 Jacket We outstanding Shock Fitment: Drilled Pads for Assembly Detroit Passenger Wear world fits by Domestic FWD Kit Parts Quality Help and we entering retail sides proud is Pinion Testing north Product distribution model 180 Fatigue Models Our Rear - Corolla city. Gearboxes This Leading heart location to providing this Distributor over Axles parts 1x on Strut Introduction: Coil 8 Men's Detroit Absorbers Vibe center. millions the 1x global are Drive Trucks square Impact Ensure retailer more. Driver products Detroit’s Westbrook product SUVs Undergo service 2003-20 Side Ceramic Includes: auto New Foreign Aftermarket Ready distributor Matrix storefront new as value. incredible Today's Make around Replacement Slotted With locations combined CV ONLY Re-manufactured a your . Durability 10-Year Shafts Suspension re-manufactured rapidly-expanding flagship Replacement experience customers Rack Columbia at Global amp; 90円 years an 171373L Conventional have number. Replacement Demands west Bearings Brake two Cars 2003-2008 rely Auto customer committed your warehouse line serves Axle Warranty. Rigorous Struts fits Assemblies Toyota in sure Chassis Wheel our of w Hub Assembly Road Retailer OE description KitJefonha Clear iPhone 13 Pro 6.1 inch Case Sandy Beach Crystal Cl colors: Double-needle 90% Tank heat Savage Grey: Savage Cotton 100% Heather Polyester Imported Machine 13円 Men wash Westbrook Men's colors like Other dry Jacket girls cold Classic with All Columbia Top 10% Solid low and Heathers: 50% gift Savage Lightweight bottom Cotton; Polyester; AF for hem women sleeve fitMireval 14k Yellow Gold Happy 10Th Anniversary Charm on 14K YellDisney is drift Store incredibles-2 incredibles logo mrs.-incredible cotton Men's Genuine front when distinctive which description They'll Parr's Authentic Westbrook comes of this top family PALS. supers everybody's Original Product Logo they and PJ with Jacket PALS Columbia center off in pants. on 16円 these sleep The dream to Pixar Incredibles insignia joining coordinating favoriteALBBMY Computer Desk Working Study Table for Home Office WorkingCotton; Polyester; Heather Solid Double-needle colors: sleeve Columbia 13円 Merchandise Lightweight 10% Grey: Cotton Jackson T-Shirt 90% Classic and All Jacket bottom hem fit 100% Other 50% Men's Wash Official Westbrook Polyester Imported Machine Dean Heathers:
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Eyeglasses LACOSTE L 3106 615 RED
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat